KCUrbEx May 2020 Updates

Any issues with the site? IF YOU ARE HAVING LOGIN ISSUES COME HERE!
Snoopy
dangerous with computers
Jami ID: sn00py
Signal ID: pm me 4 it

Hey everyone!

Been working on KCUrbEx on and off for the past month or so. I've made some changes and improvements on the backend and wanted to discuss them here.

1. Added Two Additional Profile Fields.
These two profile fields (not available in the mobile app) allow you to add your contacts for Jami (https://www.jami.net), a distributed encrypted messenger and Signal (https://signal.org/), a popular encrypted messenger backed by Edward Snowden. Once you have added this information to your user profile, other members will be able to see this information on your profile and on your posts. I have also added an extension that blocks this information from Guests browsing the forum so you won't need to worry about it being indexed by Google. Keep in mind that using your personal phone number for Signal is probably not the best idea as it can be easily traced back to you. I will not be adding any other messenger ID fields for right now as I'm not a huge fan of WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber, Line, or any other messenger. My criteria for a good messenger application is encryption, limited data collection, and ease of use to the non-technical; Signal and Jami both fit that criteria.

2. Fixed a caching issue.
Some of you might have noticed a slowness in the site in the past month. I've cleared a cache folder that wasn't clearing automatically for some reason and it appears to be working fine now.

Hope you all are doing okay out there. Hopefully I'll have some free time soon to go out with some of you and get into some shenanigans; been way to busy with personal things.
SubLunar wrote:In the age of social media, new locations are treated like currency and entrance information spreads faster than the clap.
Panzram-ifications

Hmm, interesting. Between Signal and Jami, which do you prefer? I definitely would like to use the messengers for sharing coordinates and pictures to be safe - since I'm a paranoid fuck lol
IrvingJackelman

Panzram-ifications wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:20 pm
Hmm, interesting. Between Signal and Jami, which do you prefer? I definitely would like to use the messengers for sharing coordinates and pictures to be safe - since I'm a paranoid fuck lol
SIGNAL baby! Most of us are already on it.
Snoopy
dangerous with computers
Jami ID: sn00py
Signal ID: pm me 4 it

Panzram-ifications wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:20 pm
I'm pretty paranoid as well lol. I've been using Signal for awhile now but I'm always trying out new services. Signal is a pretty great service and its the only messenger that has been able to prove they collect limited information about its users. Back in 2016, around the time of the Snowden leaks, Signal was subpoenaed by the US government for information on two Signal numbers. The only information they could provide was when a number signed up and when they last used the service. You can read more about that here: https://signal.org/bigbrother/eastern-v ... rand-jury/

Signal's encryption has also been independently audited: https://eprint.iacr.org/2016/1013.pdf

The biggest downside with Signal is having to use your phone number; not a big deal because obtaining a burner phone or anonymous phone number is luckily still very easy. Its also uses a closed source centralized service based in the US; meaning that the code that runs their server backend is not publicly available. This can be problematic because our government is constantly trying to pass legislation to ban encryption or they try to coerce companies into building backdoors.

Jami on the other hand doesn't require any personal information to sign up and is a distributed service. Ideally you'd want to use a service that is decentralized, meaning no central servers are needed but there are not a lot of services out there that are convenient for your average joe. Jami has to use servers in 5 cases: https://jami.net/why-is-jami-truly-distributed/. If you are technical enough with computers you could host your own Jami server but you'd be taking a distributed service and centralizing it wherever you host your server.

Both are great options but for convenience Signal takes all. I'm looking at other services too like Riot (basically like discord but with E2E encryption using the Matrix protocol) to create a KCUrbEx room that would make communication easier for meetups and campouts. Signal is a bit messy for group messages as we've seen in the past.

TLDR; Signal for convenience, Jami for a more secure experience.
SubLunar wrote:In the age of social media, new locations are treated like currency and entrance information spreads faster than the clap.