What essential gear/clothing do you bring exploring?

"With all the wacky stuff that urbexers come up with, this forum could be chock full of hilarity" -iFUBAR 12/14/2010
AndyMo88

What essential gear/clothing do you bring exploring?

Post by AndyMo88 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:49 pm

I guess I'm a nerd about being prepared for anything... probably because I was an Eagle Scout.

Here is what I usually bring on an outing:

-Leatherman Multi Tool

-LED headlamp (with low brightness and red light settings to avoid unnecessary attention at night)

-MaxiFlex Gloves (cut-resistant, extra grip, keeps your hands clean in dirty abandoned places)

-Palladium Waterproof Boots (plenty of ankle support, keeps your feet warm and dry)

-Stocking cap and sunglasses (helps preserve your anonymity if someone sees you entering a location that's 'hot')

-Lighter/cigarettes (great for offering homeless folks or other shady characters you may encounter)

-Mini binoculars (so you can see potential trouble coming from a distance)

-Water bottle (if you're going to be away from your vehicle for a few hours)

-Camoflauge conscious clothing (I tend to wear grey or dark green colors because they don't catch the eye. Black stands out too much)

I never bring any kind of weapon for self-defense. You can always find a metal pipe, stick, or rock if necessary. Knives and guns are trouble.

Pulling your cell phone out and pretending to text or call someone is a great way to look less suspicious if you're scouting a location.

Also, I never bring my wallet with me in case I get robbed.

What about you all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using KCUrbEx mobile app

Last edited by AndyMo88 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SnoopyWasHere
Administrator

Re: What essential gear/clothing do you bring exploring?

Post by SnoopyWasHere » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:44 pm

I don't bring much, I like to travel light. Only carry camera batteries, spare flashlights, spare batteries for my flood light, water occasionally. I do have two pairs of boots depending on the occasion. One are rubber boots and the others are waterproof to the ankle and over plenty of protection. Gloves are something I need to carry more often and I have a particulate mask but don't bring it very often.
AndyMo88

Post by AndyMo88 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:21 am

SnoopyWasHere wrote:I don't bring much, I like to travel light. Only carry camera batteries, spare flashlights, spare batteries for my flood light, water occasionally. I do have two pairs of boots depending on the occasion. One are rubber boots and the others are waterproof to the ankle and over plenty of protection. Gloves are something I need to carry more often and I have a particulate mask but don't bring it very often.
Yeah, I've found myself in need of a particulate mask multiple times. All that black mold I've inhaled can't be good...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using KCUrbEx mobile app

quinton

Post by quinton » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:42 pm

I usually try to bring a stack of leather work gloves for anyone who forgot some, basic dust masks help wonders on occasion, a very basic medkit since anything worse than a small cut or abrasion should probably be seen by a doc, also class 4 power armor, gauss rifle, and at least 12 incendiar.... no wait thats for dealing with hell rifts, forget that. Just basic stuff works fine 90% of the time, unless your planning some super adventurous stuff you really don't need to load up on gear.
Judge if you want. We are all going to die. I intend to deserve it.